Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Starting right


Image courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned that I had received my auctioneer's license and was preparing to start an auction business.  Today I met with my attorney to discuss how I should structure the business.  He advised me to create a Limited Liability Company (LLC) that would help protect our personal assets in case there were problems in the future.  It costs very little to set up an LLC and it provides a lot of protection.  He suggested that if I wanted to save money I could do it myself online as it wasn't that difficult, but when I asked what he would charge me to do it I found out it wasn't much more.  I asked him to do it.

I'm all about saving money, and like most small business start-ups I don't have a lot of money to put into this endeavor.  However, I think there is value in knowing that the foundation for the company is being laid correctly.  I could save money by doing my own dentistry too, but I doubt it would be worth it.  I want this company to be set up correctly so why not pay someone who has been trained for this kind of work to do it, especially when it is such a minimal amount?

One of the mistakes I made in my previous company was that I tried to save money in places I shouldn't.  Penny wise and pound foolish I believe the old proverb calls it.  I want this new business to be started right so I've asked my attorney to do the paperwork for the LLC to ensure it is done correctly.  I began today pricing liability insurance.  When the state approves the LLC I will set up two bank accounts for the business: one for business operations and the other for an escrow account as required by state law.  I have started printing business cards and brochures and began handing them out to close friends.  Later this week I will order contract forms and other paperwork needed in the auction business so when I am ready to launch the business I will have everything ready to start. 

And it will be right from the start.  I will not make the mistake again of trying to cut corners that should not be cut in an effort to save a few dollars.  I learned that lesson from my first business.  If you want to know what other lessons I learned from losing that business be sure to read my e-book Mistakes: Avoiding the Wrong Decisions that Will Close Your Small Business

No comments:

Post a Comment