Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Be professional


Image courtesy of  FreeDigitalPhotos.net
 
Over the weekend I found I needed a repair done on my house.  This morning I called a company that does the kind of work I needed done.  The first phone number I called came out of last year's phone book, and I got a recording saying that number was no longer in service.  I got the newer phone book and found that the company had switched their number to a cell phone.  I called that number and a voice answered, "Yeah?"  It caught me off guard for a moment and then I asked, "Is this __________ company?"  "Yeah."  I almost hung up simply because of the way the person answered the phone, but the only other company that does the work I needed done is a hour's drive away and I didn't want to pay for that much windshield time.  The person I called is supposed to be at my house early tomorrow, but I can tell you that if he isn't here close to the time he said he would be I'll call someone else.  At this point, he will have to prove to me he is more professional than his telephone skills indicate.

I've used this company before, and I'm pretty sure he works out of his home.  I don't have a problem with that because so do I.  I also don't have a problem with him using a cell phone for his business phone.  Many small business owners do that.  But, that's no excuse for projecting such a poor professional image. 

One of the challenges people have when they work out of their home is remembering that they are operating a business and need to project a professional image to their potential clients.  My office is in a separate room of our house and this is the only thing that room is used for.  A dedicated phone line runs into that room with a different number than our home phone.  When the phone on my desk rings I know that it is almost always a business call, and I answer it much differently than when I answer our home phone.  I also don't have a television blasting away in the background or music playing loudly.  Even if I do have those on, it's a simple matter to mute them when the phone rings so that there are no distractions in the background.  I want to project the same image to people who call my home office that they would receive if I worked out of a high rise office complex.

Here are some other things to consider when working out of a home office.  Don't allow children to answer your business phone.   Isolate your business phone from household appliances.  It's nice to be able to wash a load of clothes while I'm working at my desk, but I wouldn't want a caller to hear my washer going through the spin cycle while we're discussing him hiring my services. 

I've always found it best to meet clients away from my house.  Occasionally, I have one who offers to come to my office to talk, but I really don't want people coming to my house.  I've found that if I offer to meet them somewhere for lunch, and I'm buying, they're usually happy to do that.  It keeps things on a more professional level and keeps our home from being a meeting place.

One other thing I started doing about a year ago was I got a post office box and began switching my business mail address to that box number.  I don't consider that a big thing, but I wanted to separate my personal mail from my business mail.  Most of the contacts I have is through e-mail so I have found that if I stop by the post office once a week to check my box I can stay on top of my business mail.

There are many good reasons for working out of your home, and for many of us it makes a lot of sense to do so, but we must remember that it is important that we always project a professional image in everything we do.  When a new client first calls us it is the one chance we have to make a good first impression so be professional.

Mistakes: Avoiding the Wrong Decisions that will Close Your Small Business

No comments:

Post a Comment