Monday, October 1, 2012

Avoiding the mistakes

 
Few things in my life have been more painful to me than when we closed our small business.  For 15 years I had managed our family owned heating and air conditioning business until we were forced to close it.  I had resisted making that decision for several years but just wasn't able to turn it around to its former profitability.  We closed it down and sold everything at auction.  Inventory and equipment went for pennies on the dollar.  

The day of the auction was one of the worst days of my life because I knew that I was the primary cause of it.  Our dream of owning a business had turned into a nightmare because of numerous mistakes I made.  Within days of the auction I began writing a book on the experience called Mistakes: Avoiding the Wrong Decisions That Will Close Your Small Business.  I had learned a lot about how to manage a small business, but I learned it too late to save ours.  I felt like if I honestly told of the mistakes I had made and what I had learned from them it might help other small business owners avoid making the same mistakes.  It is far better to learn from the mistakes of others than from making them yourself.

Although I have published several books I could not interest a publisher in this one.  I think I know why.  Walk into any bookstore and check out the books in the business section and see how many of them address mistakes.  You would think from reading the titles of the books you find on most of those shelves that all you have to do is open for business and you can start making plans for your next Mediterranean vacation.  Publishers like happy, positive books.  They don't like books that explain how the author messed up and lost a business due to his stupidity.

Actually, I think my book is a positive book.  It gives positive advice on how to lead and manage a small business well.  It points out possible issues that can create problems, but after doing so give the reader good advice on how to avoid those issues.  That's positive.  It's also more realistic than what some of the business books I've read.  No small business owner will avoid all mistakes, but he or she can miss several of them if they know to expect them and if they have some idea of what to do when they do happen.  I think this book provides that which is why I decided I would release this book as an e-book on NOOK.

For over three decades I have been a minister.  Twenty of those years I served as a pastor and for the past 12 years I've been a denominational leader.  At heart I am a teacher, and this book will teach you about potential problem areas you may encounter in your business and how to address them in a constructive way.  My interest in teaching is also why I created this website and why I publish so many articles on small business leadership, entrepreneurship, and sound decision making.  I would encourage you to follow my blog as well as the articles I copy each day on Twitter and Facebook.  Every article I share may not interest you, but I bet some of them will.  If you get even a nugget from reading one of the posts it can prove to be a major contributor to your well-being.

By making the book available on NOOK devices I've been able to make it immediately available to you and to sell it for much less than what a publisher would charge for it.  I encourage you to purchase it.  I also invite you to be my friend on Facebook and follow me on Twitter to see the numerous articles I post nearly every day.  If you have questions you would like me to address please let me know, and I'll try to incorporate the answers in future posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment